CLICK!!

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Run For Your Lives Malaysia 2014

Hello peeps. It's been quite a while since I last checked in here.

I had the one-of-a-kind experience today - becoming a survivor in an zombie infested event called Run For Your Lives.

Why did I joined? Back then it looked like a running event. Used to be a marathoner. So running in a special themed run sounded enticing back then. Why choose to be a survivor? Because to test yourself in such a situation, should it ever arises in reality, are you determined to stay alive?

Thoughts of the events: Since its the first time they are having it in Malaysia, hence A LOT of room for improvement. Bibs should be dispensed out earlier, preferable not on the event day itself to ease congestion of crowd. Then of course route planning, which I will not dwell further since it is subjective.

The ordeal I had to overcome wasn't easy. Quite simply, I thought there will be water obstacles judging from the youtube trailer they released. Ended up going in with rubber shoes, which ate my feet in the dry and hot condition. Think I have blisters on my feet now. Not to mention I did not exercised for 2 weeks due to that sudden laziness. I barely ran.

Then how did I survived? Haha. Come to think of it, it was a mixture of strategies. First station on the wide open field, everyone ran like mad. Running in the middle of the crowd proved effective as zombies always concentrate on the first few ones, hence giving a chance for me to slip away unscathed.

Next few stations where the terrain was much more narrow, I was glad to rally my group to go into a straight line formation, arms locked and our live bibs at the back. As a team, we pushed forward till midway before we sprinted to the safety zone.

By now my feet was really screaming in pain. And fatigued and tired by the hot sun, its no joke to run. Noticed that zombies dont really look to see whether you had life bibs on you on your back since they only concentrate on the front. Hence miraculously I walked passed them calmly, step by step till the finish line.
*p.s. thanks to a few in the group who acted like survivors trying to run past the zombies. It definitely help turn the zombies towards him/her while I walk pass the zombie zones like a boss. And not to mention a bit of acting.. teehee


Lesson: What I learn yet again, is that to win, you don't have to be the fastest, or strongest to win. Perhaps I just re-lived the moment of the tortoise winning the race? 



No comments: